Saturday, June 21, 2008

An Off-Broadway Review

Tonight I joined my sister and two other friends to see a Broadway-style production in a large outdoor Starlight Theater. The show was called The Drowsy Chaperone and even after reading the programs we had no idea what it would be about. It turned out to be a really great show and a very fun night (despite a first-act margarita that pushed on my bladder for three hours).

I'd love to show you pictures, but unfortunately cameras were not allowed. Basically the show is about a modern-day man using a record-player in his home to listen to a 1920's musical comedy called The Drowsy Chaperone (ie, the drunk maid of honor). The entire jazzy musical proceeded to take place in his living room with occasional exclamations and explanations from the "man in chair"—as his character was called. I was delighted to recognize two actors from tv and film: Georgia Engel, Robert's mother-in-law in Everybody Loves Raymond and Georgette in The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and also the "man in chair" himself, Jonathan Crombie who graced the Anne of Green Gables movies as Gilbert Blythe. Georgia Engel's best line with her softly delicate voice: "Poooooop." But my favorite line was Man in Chair's "Is this the person I'm supposed to pee with for the rest of my life?"

I'm so glad that live theater has survived the 20th century and not suffered the same sad fate as its doomed sister, musical films. I'm a big fan of choreographed tap-dancing, exaggerated expressions, and the philosophy of why say it when you can sing it? The cheesier the better. I'm looking forward to next month's production of High School Musical. (Seriously. Really excited about that one.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very sad that I was unable to accompany you to an off-broadway production. Maybe someday we can go to a real Broadway show.

    ReplyDelete