Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lovely Distraction

With less than a month until our big move to the Midwest, I was spending several hours a day job hunting. I scoured every online job board in the morning, and again in the evening. Google search became my intimate friend. I found perfect jobs for everyone I knew, except myself. I was consumed and verging on despair when I finally accepted the hard truth: I need a hobby!! Something to distract me from my job-hunting obsession!

Cue the craft blogs. Yes, all of them. I visited one of my favorites for inspiration on a new project for me. Soon I clicked on one link, that led me to another, and after a messy maze of hyperlinks which I could never recreate, I finally found it. It was beautiful. They called it a buttercup bag, but I called it a savior. I knew instantly its destiny was to save me from my depressive compulsory job hunt. 24 hours and some leftover fabric later, I'd made my first purse. Another 24 hours and a fabric store after that, I'd made my second purse.


I'm extremely proud. I cannot stitch a straight line, the buttonhole is crooked, the magnetic snaps don't align, and my attempt to tackle piping is quite flawed, but I'm SO happy with the results! Considering I've never followed a pattern nor sewed anything more complicated than curtains, these purses were super easy to make. And best of all… I have three job interviews this week!

3 comments:

  1. LOL......you're funny.....and the purses look really good......and good luck on your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so wonderful -- I'm glad that the pattern could help haul you out of your funk! It's so nice to hear that you've been helped in some way; I hope you'll continue to enjoy it! Thanks so much for sharing this with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice!! you can't see a single flaw from the photo. :)
    and i think that AB will make some very nice purses too!

    ReplyDelete